News and announcements
Museums and COVID-19
March 13, 2020
We know that, like other sectors, museums are being affected in many ways by the global spread of the coronavirus, now categorized as a pandemic.
This is expected to have tremendous impact on our sector — which is made up of so many small museums and non-profit institutions — and we urge the Government to urgently consider and implement measures to provide relief.
At the CMA, we are following closely the advice and direction from the Government of Canada with respect to, for example, precautions to reduce risk of spreading the disease, limiting public gatherings and ceasing certain travel.
We encourage our members to actively monitor those sources as well, and to watch for information and advice coming out from the provincial and municipal levels across the country.
Some have asked us whether the CMA National Conference, planned for mid-April in Montreal, will continue to take place. At this point in time, but taking into consideration the situation may evolve, we do anticipate the CMA National Conference will continue as planned. Please note however that the CMA has decided to extend the participation cancellation deadline, to give attendees more time to consider their ability to attend conference while minimizing financial impacts. Written cancellations for participation in the CMA National Conference will now be accepted up to and including March 27th (a cancellation fee of 25% will still apply).
Like everyone, we are monitoring the situation closely and will advise of any changes to our plans.
Meanwhile, we want to hear from you — what measures have your museums been introducing to deal with this challenge, so that we can look at sharing your ideas with other museum colleagues. Email email@example.com.