The City of Delta is seeking a dedicated individual who is pursuing a progressive mentoring experience as part of their overall education as a heritage and museum professional. Delta is in the process of revitalizing its services and delivery model in anticipation of the City’s new Cultural Centre.
The museum collection is undergoing assessment to determine future relevance and significance to the collection plan. This position offers opportunities to acquire skills in the care and maintenance of collections utilizing a Heritage Asset Assessment Tool.
By the end of the 16 week position, the following measurable outcomes should be realized:
• Evaluation of 150 items in the collection using the Heritage Asset Assessment Tool
• Special conservation and storage of 1 item currently in the collection in need of better conservation
• Cleaning and care of 18 objects in the collection in preparation for exhibit display
Students will also have the opportunity to work with a variety of allied professionals and expand their contacts in the field.
This position is ideal for those currently enrolled in a post-secondary museum studies, archeology, history, archives management or other social science program. The candidate must meet the Young Canada Works grant criteria, by being a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have Canadian refugee status and is between the ages of 15 and 30 years. The successful candidate must commit to the full duration of the position, and was a full time student in the semester preceding the assignment and intend to return to full time studies the semester following the assignment.
Expected skills for the position include:
• Familiar with Delta’s history and its place in the general historic trends of British Columbia and Canada
• Familiar with artifacts, their use, care and identification
• Sound knowledge of word processing, database and spreadsheet programs
• Familiar with object photography protocols
• Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
• Able to work independently and in a team environment
• Must possess a valid BC class 5 driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle
• Able to lift up to 22.3 kg (50 pounds)
To be considered for this opportunity you must meet the requirements of the Young Canada Works (YCW) program: You are between the ages of 15-30; You have been a full time student in the semester preceding the YCW job; and you intend to return to full time studies in the semester following your YCW job. A valid Class 5 British Columbia driver’s license is required. Interested applicants are requested to apply online at www.delta.ca/employment to competition #19-89 EX by May 12, 2019.
We thank all applicants for their interest; only those under consideration will be contacted.
Copies of relevant professional certificates, degrees, or tickets must be submitted with your application.
Preferred candidates will be required to submit a Police Information Check.