The Gulf of Georgia Cannery, built in 1894 in the historic village of Steveston, is a living monument to the individuals involved in B.C.’s fishing industry. The site is operated by the Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society, an independent, non-profit society and registered charity. In addition to operating the historic site, the Society maintains an archival and artifact collection relating to fishing on Canada’s West coast.
We are currently seeking a detail-oriented individual who is dedicated to preserving BC’s history for future generations to join our collections team. Under the supervision of the Collections Manager, the Collections Assistant will work with the Society’s artifact, archival and library collections, and will play a key role in improving the collections database and the overall management of the collections.
Main Tasks/ Responsibilities:
• Adding/ updating information on collections to the Cannery’s online database, including uploading and describing archival photographs, audio files, transcripts, etc.
• Conducting oral history interviews with individuals who worked in the fishing industry, followed by processing and uploading interviews and information to the database
• Assisting with the rationalization and evaluation of the onsite artifact collections, including finishing the inventory and cataloguing of the Society collection
• Assisting with any exhibit projects, special events, and programs as needed
• Organized with great attention for details
• Ability to work in cool, dusty conditions and lift heavier objects
• Ability to work independently
• Ability to work as an effective team member
• Previous experience volunteering or working in a museum, archives, or library is an asset
Conditions of Employment:
• A criminal record check is required
• As per the requirements of the funding body, eligible applicants must be between the ages of 16 and 28 and be a full-time student returning to full-time studies in the fall.
Pending confirmation of funding, this full-time 12-14 week position begins mid-late May and ends mid-late August.
Starting wage is $14 per hour, plus 4% in lieu of benefits and vacations.
Deadline to apply: Monday April 29, 2019
Only suitable candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
For more information about the site, please visit: gulfofgeorgiacannery.org
Please forward your resume and cover letter to:
Heidi Rampfl, Collections Manager
Gulf of Georgia Cannery Society
12138 Fourth Avenue, Richmond, BC V7E 3J1