Historica Canada is the largest charitable organization dedicated to Canadian history, identity and citizenship. Some of Historica Canada’s signature programs are: Encounters with Canada, The Heritage Minutes, The Memory Project, The Citizenship Challenge, and The Canadian Encyclopedia. For more information, visit www.HistoricaCanada.ca.
The Black History Month Event Coordinator will be an individual who is passionate about the work of Historica Canada, has had experience with the planning and execution of high-profile events. The successful candidate is organized, detail-oriented, and a strong communicator.
The responsibilities of the Event Coordinator include:
• Work with Program Manager plan and execute one high-profile Toronto-based Black History Month event;
• Plan and oversee all event logistics (site booking, catering, entertainment), while working out of the national office (Toronto);
• Secure notable Black History Month speakers/presenters for each event;
• Conducting outreach and promotion to attract participants to each event;
• Identifying media opportunities, including the development of pitches and the execution of outreach and follow-up;
• Development, monitoring and completion of a social media plan, to engage the public and encourage attendance at the events;
• Work with partner organizations, where applicable, to ensure the success of the events;
• Responsible for day-to-day monitoring of budget and expenditures;
• Responsible for reporting following the completion of the events;
• Reports directly to Program Manager;
• Other duties as assigned.
• A completed degree in the Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Communications or related discipline;
• Minimum 3 years related professional working experience;
• Significant experience in the planning and execution of large, high-profile events;
• Experience in conducting outreach, including social media outreach;
• Knowledge of or interest in Canadian history, especially Black History in Canada;
• Strong written and oral communicator;
• Excellent organizational skills;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Previous experience monitoring a budget and/or program expenditures;
• Written and oral proficiency French an asset;
• Computer skills (advanced Microsoft Office suite).
This is a contract position beginning October 8, 2018 and ending March 31, 2019. The salary will be $24.62 hourly less applicable statutory deductions, pro-rated for the duration of the contract, which will be paid to you twice a month.
Historica Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
This position is based at Historica Canada’s Head Office in Toronto.
This position may require travel (air and ground) within Canada.
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required by the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.
Please submit your resume and cover letter in a single PDF or Microsoft Word document with your full name and the position as the file name. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Interviews may be arranged before the deadline. Interested candidates should submit their application no later than September 24, 2018 5:00 PM EST to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to this posting in the subject line. Successful candidates will be contacted directly. Phone calls or solicitations from agencies and candidates will not be accepted.