The North Vancouver Museum & Archives is seeking an Archivist to join our collaborative staff team and participate in accomplishing NVMA’s mission to strengthen our community by creating opportunities for residents and visitors to explore the past, present and future of North Vancouver and its people. We are a dynamic and growing organization, with an existing/established Archives building and a second, new Museum facility currently under construction (planned to open in 2020).
The Archives’ holdings include significant records for the Municipalities of the City and District of North Vancouver, and extensive business and community records.
We are seeking an imaginative, experienced individual who will report to the NVMA’s Director, work closely with the Assistant Director, the Curator and other staff, and supervise a Reference Historian and Archives Assistant (part-time). Individuals with a collegial approach to archival work, and an interest in community engagement should apply. The incumbent’s duties include responsibility for the full range of archival activities, as well as collaboration to develop innovative visitor-focused exhibits and programs.
Summary of Duties
• Develop, revise, and maintain policies governing the operation of the Archives, and the care and administration of its holdings;
• Acquire, appraise, arrange, and describe archival records following accepted professional standards and practices, and in keeping with the NVMA’s mandate.
• Provide for the preventative conservation and physical care of holdings.
• Work with IT staff, and software provider, to maintain and develop a user-friendly online database to promote access to holdings.
• Work with the Reference Historian to provide services to the public;
• Provide research assistance to other departments of the NVMA;
• Promote the public profile of the Archives, and use of its holdings, by contributing articles to NVMA’s newsletter and website, and responding to requests for talks, tours, and programs.
• Work with staff to conceptualize, plan and implement exhibits and programs;
• Liaise with Records Management staffs of the City and District of North Vancouver to effect transfers of municipal records to the Archives.
• Cultivate relationships with community organizations and individuals to encourage donations to the Archives, and develop a network of Archives supporters.
• Monitor the Archives facility and liaise with the Administrative Services Coordinator.
• Attend to administrative tasks including writing reports, assisting with budget preparation, and grant opportunities.
• Supervise two staff, volunteers, and practicum students.
• Graduate degree in Archival Studies, and other degree or course work in a related discipline such as History.
• Relevant experience in professional archival work.
• Personal characteristics include creativity, flexibility, team work, organizational and analytical skills, and excellent verbal and written communications.
• Self-sufficient in office administration tasks, including record-keeping, presentations and use of MS-Office suite applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• Experience using collection management databases. (NVMA uses Gencat - Lucidea collections software.)
• Valid clean British Columbia drivers licence required, and a criminal record check.
• Applicant must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Desirable Experience, Qualifications and Skills
• Knowledge of North Vancouver and regional local history is desirable.
• A self-starter who enjoys collaborating on projects, and working with volunteers, interns and staff.
• Experience with museum and archives collaborations and developing content for exhibits.
• Strong knowledge of issues of digitization and digital storage in archives, as well as training and/or experience with database development.