What the Opportunity is:
Working and reporting to the Museum Association of Saskatchewan’s Museum Advisor, the chosen candidate will develop and write the MAS’s Education/Interpretation Self-Assessment Workbook using the standards found in Standards for Saskatchewan Museums 2016 as indicators. This project can be completed in person and/or online.
Using the predetermined standards, the consultant will create a workbook that specifically focuses on Museum Education and Interpretation programs, including public programming, school programming, research, publications, community engagement, and social media. The consultant will use the standards to create a uniform Performance Indicator for each standard. The workbook is estimated to be approximately 50-75 pages long at completion.
The workbook will also include:
• Introduction to the Program
• Gold, Silver and Bronze Indicators for each pre-determined standard
• List of suggestions on how museums can improve themselves and achieve the highest indicator level for each standard.
• Tips and Hints for each Section
• List of unacceptable practices.
• Glossary of Terms
• List of Further Resources
This project is the third section of a five-part self-assessment workbook series that is being created by the Museums Association of Saskatchewan. The Self-Assessment Workbooks are being create to help our members to self-identify their strengths and weaknesses and develop and execute plans for improvement. The first two workbooks in the series focused on Collections Management and Exhibits. Both publications will be provided to the chosen candidate as reference guides for the development of this upcoming Education/ Interpretation Self-Assessment Workbook.
• Completion of a post-secondary degree or certificate in museum studies or a related discipline, in addition to a minimum of 2 years related work experience preferably in a small, local museum environment and/or in an Education/ Interpretation Department
• Demonstrated research, collections and project management skills.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both in the spoken and written word.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment with an ability to meet tight deadlines.
• High level understanding on Microsoft Office Suite.