||The BYTOWN MUSEUM is currently looking for six friendly and energetic Visitor Engagement Officers for the 2018 summer season. The Visitor Engagement Officer (VEO) position plays an integral part in creating a welcoming and memorable experience for all of our visitors. We are looking for pro-active team members with an intuitive and enthusiastic approach and a passion for exceptional customer care in support of the museum’s expansion of programming and services as Ottawa’s oldest community museum. Located in the heart of downtown, the BYTOWN Museum is committed to engage the local community and visitors abroad in discovery and exploration of the stories of an evolving city and its residents from its early days as Bytown to present day. Its mandate is to collect, preserve, study and make accessible the material and cultural heritage of the Ottawa region’s multicultural and rich history, aspiring to the highest quality of service in furthering knowledge and developing a sense of pride among its diverse visitors.
• Provide a helpful and knowledgeable first point of contact both in person and over the phone, responding to a wide variety of queries and requests
• Assist with the overseeing of opening and closing of the museum, daily operations of Boutique & Café, Reception and Admissions taking cash and card payments. End of day cash out and reporting as required
• Ensure cleanliness of working area, galleries, facilities and public spaces to improve visitor satisfaction and decrease health and safety risk
• Presentation and delivery of thematic tours and short talks
• Set up, facilitation and take down of annual programming and special events
• Enrich the experience of visitors. Ensure knowledge of the BYTOWN Museum is up to date and transferred through general interaction and interpretation of the exhibitions, collection and site
• In addition, Visitor Engagement Officers will assist with departmental projects:
• Special Events and Fundraising
• French Language Programmer
• Built Heritage Specialist
• Communications and Outreach
• Volunteer Coordination
• Revenue Streams
• Perform and undertake any other related duties with a flexible attitude
• Minimum of one year completed post-secondary education in Museum Studies, History, Education, Marketing, Event Management, Theatre or suitable equivalent
• Enthusiasm and experience working with the public and providing an excellent visitor experience in a busy customer focused environment. Ability to relate to many different/diverse people, when English may not be their first
• Excellent communication skills and command of both French and English (written or oral) is mandatory
• Interest and enthusiasm in the history of Bytown, Ottawa and the Rideau Canal. Knowledge of Canadian History.
• Ability to work as a team player with strong interpersonal skills, willingness to assume initiative and work independently
• Able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs. Able to climb stairs as there is no elevator access beyond the 2nd floors. The Visitor Experience Officer will rotate through a variety of front of house roles. This positon is flexible covering seven days a week, including evenings and weekends. Assets:
• Knowledge of current museum practices as they relate to programming and visitor research
• Enjoys meeting, working and conversing with people of all ages, race and backgrounds
• Experience giving guided tours and family programs to a range of audiences
• Experience planning and coordinating public events
• Computer literate with an ‘eye for detail’. Proficiency in writing, photography and Wordpress
• Knowledge of language other than English and French .
||The Visitor Engagement Officer position runs from May 1 to September 2, 2018, working a max of 35 hours a week. Part-time extension in fall may be possible.
Interviews will be conducted in English with a French component.
Candidates must meet Young Canada Works (YCW) eligibility requirements.
- Between 16 and 30 years of age at start of employment
- do not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed
- Willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
- has been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job
- intend to return to full-time studies in the next semester following the YCW job
Resume and a cover letter to be received, no later than 4 pm on Friday March 23, 2018 to
Postal Address: MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM, P.O. Box 523, Station B; Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5P6
No telephone enquiries please.
While we thank all candidates for showing interest in the BYTOWN MUSEUM, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. The BYTOWN MUSEUM is an equal opportunity employer.