||The Vernon Public Art Gallery is seeking a highly-motivated person for the position of Education Coordinator & Administrative Assistant.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the principal goal of the Education Coordinator is to achieve a standard of excellence in overall art education program development including public programs, school programs and community-based projects – initiatives that build understanding of art and its practices, by engaging visitors or all ages and experience levels, with the goal of growing VPAG’s audience participation.
The Administrative Assistant plays a key role in the daily operations of the gallery, as well as assists with office administrative duties including membership, statistics, sponsorship, special events, and volunteers. Candidate must be fuelled by a desire to connect art and people.
• Post-secondary education in Fine Arts, Education, museum studies, or similar is desirable
• Knowledge of the British Columbia Curriculum
• Strong understanding of current art museum/gallery educational practices, theory and trends
• Experience working in an art museum/gallery
• Experience in public speaking
• Experience working with students of all ages
• Excellent organizational skills and capabilities to manage multiple priorities
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office and database administrative skills
• Possess experience in budget management
• Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to multi-task and work well as a team
Education Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop programming curriculum that meets the requirements set forth by the BC Ministry of Education and School District #22
• Write, provide, book and schedule exhibition tours and hands-on activities for groups of all ages and sizes
• Create lesson plans, workshops and special events that complement the exhibition schedule and connect with diverse community groups
• Communicate with public and private schools in the region, promoting the Gallery through regular correspondence and visitation
• Increase participant knowledge and appreciation of contemporary art through positive experiences
• Create and maintain connections with various community groups to promote the gallery and its special programs
• Prepares written educational materials including Teacher’s Guides
• Coordinates, in conjunction with the Marketing Coordinator, the effective promotion of all art education programs
• Develops criteria and means to evaluate effectiveness of programs and evaluates these on a regular basis.
Administrative Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
• Maintain and update a membership, donor and sponsorship data base in E-Tapestry
• Maintain and update visitor and volunteer statistics and report monthly/yearly (knowledge of CADAC is preferred)
• Assist in the recruitment of gallery sponsorships
• Assist in the planning and organization of the annual fundraising event; Midsummer’s Eve of the Arts
• Recruit and provide training to Gallery volunteers
• Send bulk emails, use mail processing machine, cash handling and invoice processing
• Provide relief for front desk staff by assisting visitors and Gallery Shop customers
• Send monthly emails/letters to expiring members, and other notices such as AGM, Members’ Exhibition, MEA, ect.