ASSISTANT, CONSERVATION TECHNICIAN
Ingenium - Canada's Museums of Science and Innovation
Term / Part-time for 4 months (possibility of extension)
English or French
Job Start Date
$49,976.68 - $60,812.83
The Assistant, Conservation Technician will be responsible for preparing assigned artefacts for movement to and storage in the Collections Conservation Centre (C3.) These duties include identifying and remediating hazardous artefacts, safely handling, packing and storing artefacts, assisting with the securing and movement of large artefacts, unpacking artefacts into C3 shelving and performing inventory and location control as relevant to the artefacts being prepared for C3.
* qualified candidates resulting from this competitive process may be used to fill future vacancies.
The standard weekly hours are: SWW 37.50 Hrs (5 days consecutive Mon. - Fri.)
- As an ideal candidate, you hold a college diploma in Artifact or Museum Conservation from an accredited institution;
- Membership in the Canadian Association for Conservation is an asset.
- A minimum of six (6) months recent experience practicing the Conservation of scientific, technological, industrial, electronic, agricultural, and/or aviation objects with a museum, institution, project or private practice;
- Demonstrable experience preparing artifacts for long-term storage, transport, shipping or other re-location;
- Identification and labelling of hazardous material;
- Preventive conservation treatments.
- Knowledge of Ingenium Canada Mandate and context of Collection;
- Knowledge of safe packing and handling of artefacts for transportation and storage;
- Knowledge of Conservation appropriate packing materials and box-making techniques;
- Knowledge of Conservation Treatments, materials, techniques and practices relevant to the Ingenium Collection;
- Knowledge of the physical and chemical properties, characteristics and agents of deterioration;
of a wide range of organic and inorganic materials including modern and hazardous materials;
- Knowledge of Health and Safety issues pertaining to lab work and hazardous collections.
- To reliably respond to Conservation and Collection Care protocols and instructions;
- To lift, handle and move artefacts and boxes up to 25 lbs independently by hand;
- To reliably manage collection care details such as artefact numbers, locations and tracking protocols;
- To follow proper Safety protocols when dealing with hazardous collection items and equipment, including wearing the prescribed PPE;
- Under direction, apply basic conservation techniques;
- Under direction, safely remediate some hazards within the collection;
- Under direction, participate in the safe movement of large artefacts;
- To obtain a lift truck operators licence and safely use a lift truck;
- To communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to reliably follow instructions, protocols and workplace practice;
- To work effectively solo and in groups.
good physical and manual dexterity
use of tools and technical equipment
computer and collections database skills
tact, diplomacy and interpersonal skills
independent problem solving
All candidates must submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae outlining how their experience and training meet the basic requirements listed above. Indicate the reference number 2019/2020-INGENIUM-048 in your email's subject line, no later than the closing date to: email@example.com
Résumés received for this position will not be accepted after the indicated closing time (midnight) and date.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for the next stage of this selection process will be contacted.
As a result of this competition, we may establish an eligibility list of potential candidates that may serve to staff similar positions.
Ingenium – Canada’s Museums of Science and Innovation is committed to the principles of employment equity.
Ingenium – Canada’s Museums of Science and Innovation is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted regarding this competition, please advise the Human Resources representative should you require accommodation to attend an interview or participate in the selection process.