The MacLaren Art Centre seeks a practicing visual artist to work on behalf of the Gallery delivering programmes to children as part of the “MacLaren VanGo Programme” in schools throughout Simcoe County. In this capacity, the Artist Teaching Assistant functions as an ambassador for the MacLaren Art Centre as well as this innovative outreach programme. The main area of responsibility for the Artist Teaching Assistant is to work alongside the Artist Instructor providing assistance in the effective delivery of VanGo studio programmes to children enrolled in elementary schools. The Artist Teaching Assistant position will begin in September and continue for the 2019/20 academic year, assisting in the delivery of VanGo programmes to students enrolled in Kindergarten to Grade 8.
• BFA candidate or college-level diploma in the Visual Arts
• Some in-class or teaching experience
• Familiarity with the Ontario Curriculum in the Visual Arts
• Sound understanding of contemporary visual art and artistic practices
• Punctuality, flexibility and problem-solving skills
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
• Ability to function as a team player and to work within a fast-paced environment
• Willingness to travel
• A valid driver’s license and on-going access to a working vehicle
• A current criminal records check and vulnerable sector screening
• Ability to assist with programmes in French is an asset
• First Aid Certification is an asset
The deadline for applications is 5 pm on Monday, July 15, 2019
This is a part-time contract position for the 2019/20 academic year beginning from Tuesday, September 3, 2019 to Thursday, June 25, 2020. The Artist Teaching Assistant is expected to be available to work weekdays up to twenty-four (24) hours per week, as agreed and scheduled. This is a paid training programme that begins at $14.00 per hour.
The MacLaren Art Centre is an equal opportunity employer serving our diverse communities. Although we appreciate all applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to supply a current criminal records check and vulnerable sector police screening before work can commence.
Please send a personalized cover letter and curriculum vitae in confidence to: Tyler Durbano, Education Officer, MacLaren Art Centre, 37 Mulcaster Street, Barrie, ON L4M 3M2 or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org