RED LAKE REGIONAL HERITAGE CENTRE
The Red Lake Regional Heritage Centre is currently recruiting for the position of “Registrar Intern”. This 52 week internship is funded under the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation, with the purpose of providing new cultural, history, heritage, and museum studies graduates with a skills building opportunity in Ontario’s north.
Red Lake is a small community nestled in the serene wilderness of Northwestern Ontario and as a result it has the hospitality and friendliness of a small town. The region is famous for its hunting & fishing, beautiful provincial parks, and a colourful history of mining, aviation and art.
The position of Registrar Intern will provide the successful candidate with the chance to gain experience in the museum field, building on the skills they have previously acquired. The intern will have the opportunity to plan, organize and improve on the current storage of artifacts from a variety of collections held within the Heritage Centre’s Mezzanine.
The successful candidate will work to complete a project related to cataloguing, photographing, and storing a variety of items the Red Lake Regional Heritage Centre’s material culture. Tasks include:
1) Review the current collections plan and policy, and work with the Curator to ensure that it is clear, up to date and relevant to the Heritage Centre’s current strategic direction.
2) Photograph and inventory material culture, providing a detailed list of objects in storage. Plan and map out a plan for redesign the storage space.
3) With the assistance of the Curator and the Director, establish a list of supplies/suppliers that would be required for the implementation of the storage plan.
4) Using the inventory, update catalogue records in PastPerfect, ensure that all information is reconciled with information on the donor cards, condition reports and database. Using the inventory, identify any items that do not have records in PastPerfect. Confirm that they belong in the collection, and then add them.
5) Utilizing the storage plan design and the supplies list, reorganize the storage space according to the plan. This includes building proper mounts, preparing storage spaces and recording relocations into PastPerfect.
The ideal candidate would be a University or College graduate with a focus on museum studies. A combination of education and experience may also be considered. Museum-related volunteer experience would be an asset.
Required Professional Skills include:
Demonstrated research and organizational skills, and attention to detail
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Self-motivation and ability to work effectively alone or in a team
Proven leadership skills
Experience creating mounts would be an asset
Experience using PastPerfect would be an asset
Experience handling cultural materials is a requirement
Experience using Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel is required
Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator would be an asset
Salary: $19.50/hour plus benefits
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., occasional evenings and weekends (35 hours/week).
Application Deadline: June 29, 2019
Submit your application to:
Be sure to include ‘Registrar Intern’ in the email subject line.