The Bata Shoe Museum (BSM) is undertaking a visitor experience project known as the Awesomeness Initiative, in which front-line team members create awesome experiences for our visitors. The Awesomeness Initiative is not just about providing great customer service; it’s about creating awesome experiences at multiple touch-points throughout the museum – from the first point of contact at the admissions desk to the extraordinary experiences that happen within the galleries.
Working under the direction of the Manager of Education and Volunteer Resources, knowledgeable and energetic Awesomeness Initiators will act as ambassadors to the museum, welcoming visitors and providing information, and enhance visitor experiences through the delivery of innovative educational and family programming. With our solid and successful foundation, the Awesomeness Initiators will use relationship-building and experience-crafting to help take the museum to the next level.
Duties will include: opening galleries, serving visitors at the front desk, delivering guided tours, facilitating interactive hands-on educational sessions, engaging children and their families in crafts and activities, developing a resource with information about the museum’s Inuit footwear collection, and providing visitor feedback and recommendations on ways in which visitor experiences may be improved.
Minimum qualifications for the position:
* The candidate should be enrolled in a university or college degree program in Education, History, Art or a related discipline
* Fluency in English (reading, writing, speaking)
* Knowledge of additional languages an asset (speaking)
* Excellent communications skills and comfortable with public speaking
* Ability to learn accurate, detailed information and present it effectively to diverse audiences
* Experience teaching and/or working with children
* General level computer skills including keyboarding, email, MS Word and Excel
* Previous experience with a computerize point of sale system an asset
* Cash handling an asset
* Previous gallery experience an asset
* Strong commitment to high quality work
* Flexible, innovative and creative
* Customer-service oriented
* Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
* Ability to work independently and as part of a team
The candidate will need to ensure YCW eligibility prior to hiring by confirming in writing that they are legally entitled to work in Canada, a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or has refugee status, between the ages of 16 and 30 years of age at the start of the job, registered with the YCW program and able to commit for the full duration of the work assignment, does not have another full-time job, was enrolled as a full-time student for the semester immediately preceding the job and intends to return to full-time studies in September 2019. Women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and Indigenous peoples are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this position: send your cover letter and resume by email or mail to Andrea Field, Manager of Education and Volunteer Resources
Andrea Field, Manager of Education and Volunteer Resources
Bata Shoe Museum
327 Bloor Street West,
Toronto, ON, M5S 1W7