Oakville Galleries is a not-for-profit contemporary art museum engaging communities throughout Oakville, and wider audiences regionally, nationally and internationally. Oakville Galleries is driven by a belief in the singular power of art and artists to deepen our understanding of ourselves and our communities and move us toward a better world. We are currently looking for a Bilingual Summer Art Camp Counselor to add to our dynamic education team.
Nature and Scope of Position
Reporting to the Education Officer, the Bilingual Summer Camp Counselor is fluent in French and English. The successful candidate will oversee after-camp care and close the camp daily at 6:00 pm, oversee the day-to-day coordination of camp activities, manage camp volunteers, communicate with parents and guardians, lead groups of children ages 6 to 14 in recreational activities, assist Summer Art Instructors during art class instruction, and oversee the production of weekly camp finales. The Bilingual Summer Art Camp Counselor will work Monday to Friday (except holidays) from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm daily.
General Responsibilities and Function
• Contribute to summer camp preparation, including finalizing program lesson plans in English and French, coordinating supplies and equipment, and piloting program activities;
• Design, plan, and lead recreational activities outside of art class instruction for the duration of camp;
• Lead the delivery of scheduled daily camp activities and coordination of day-to-day tasks, including the management of supplies and classroom set-up;
• Assist Summer Art Instructors in English and French during formal class instruction as needed, and maintain an ongoing awareness of program activities;
• Communicate with staff, parents and children in English and French to ensure the safety, security and efficiency of the camp;
• Coordinate summer camp volunteers, prepare work schedules and maintain daily communication;
• Maintain a safe and clean environment for camp participants;
• Supervise after-camp childcare ending at 6:00 pm daily;
• Evaluate and revise program activities on an ongoing basis and upon program conclusion.
The ideal candidate:
• is fluent in written and spoken English and French;
• is enrolled in a post-secondary program in Art History, Art Education, Visual and/or Media Arts, Museum Studies or a related discipline;
• has experience teaching and supervising groups of children and youth (ages 6 to 14) in a camp and/or educational setting;
• demonstrates a solid knowledge of and a keen interest in contemporary visual art;
• is familiar with a broad range of artistic techniques, practices and materials;
• has experience in developing lesson and activity plans and a demonstrated interest in working with children;
• has strong organizational, planning and leadership skills;
• has an ability to work both independently and to be pro-active in a team environment;
• is responsible, hard-working, enthusiastic and dynamic;
• has demonstrated exceptional interpersonal and communication skills in both official languages.
Additional training/experience in recreation, early childhood education, film/video production, music and/or theatre is an asset. A valid driver's license and access to a vehicle will be considered an asset.
The Bilingual Summer Camp Counselor position is dependent on funding from the Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages program (YCW). Candidates for the position must:
• be legally entitled to work in Canada;
• be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada. (Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
• be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
• intend to return to full-time studies in the fall of 2019.
Application deadline: Tuesday 23 April 2019, 12:00 pm
Please submit applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Oakville Galleries is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.