Oakville Galleries is a not-for-profit contemporary art museum engaging communities throughout Oakville, and wider audiences regionally, nationally and internationally. Oakville Galleries is driven by a belief in the singular power of art and artists to deepen our understanding of ourselves and our communities and move us toward a better world. We are currently looking for a Bilingual Gallery Assistant to add to our dynamic education team.
Nature and Scope of Position
Reporting to the Education Officer, the Bilingual Gallery Assistant engages the public in discussions about Oakville Galleries' exhibitions and programs in English and French, is responsible for the security of the works of art on view, and assists with the development of French-language educational materials.
General Responsibilities and Functions
• Host visitors to Oakville Galleries' exhibitions and programs;
• Initiate discussions about and lead tours of the exhibitions on view;
• Create educational materials and marketing strategies for Oakville Galleries' French-language school programs;
• Provide information and accept registrations for Oakville Galleries' educational and public programs;
• Take registrations for summer camps and update corresponding class lists and databases;
• Promote membership programs to visitors;
• Maintain attendance records;
• Open and close the gallery spaces on time;
• Provide assistance to the Education, Communications, Development and Curatorial departments as required.
The ideal candidate:
• is fluent in written and spoken English and French;
• is enrolled in a post-secondary program in Art History, Art Education, Visual and/or Media Arts, Museum Studies or a related discipline;
• demonstrates a solid knowledge of and keen interest in contemporary art and/or museum education practices;
• has experience in developing lesson and activity plans and a demonstrated interest in working with children;
• is comfortable interacting with members of the public and delivering public talks;
• is responsible, hard-working, enthusiastic and dynamic;
• has demonstrated exceptional interpersonal and communication skills in both official languages;
• is comfortable using Apple computer products, audio/visual equipment such as digital projectors, has a good understanding of Google Drive and other online file sharing and storage platforms, and is familiar with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
The Bilingual Gallery Assistant position is dependent on funding from the Young Canada Works in Both Official Languages program (YCW). Candidates for the position must:
• be legally entitled to work in Canada;
• be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada (unfortunately, non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible);
• be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment;
• intend to return to full-time studies in the fall of 2019.
Application deadline: Tuesday 23 April 2019, 12:00 pm
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Oakville Galleries is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.