The Yukon Historical & Museums Association (YHMA) is seeking an engaged, self-motivated individual to join our team as Community Relations Coordinator, focusing on strengthening YHMA’s relationships with its members and other stakeholders, enhancing the Yukon heritage community network, and raising the profile of YHMA and the greater Yukon heritage community with the public.
The successful candidate will gain experience in and develop skills related to non-profit heritage organization management, develop a professional network in the Yukon heritage community, and gain a deeper understanding of the overall heritage sector.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Community Relations Coordinator will manage YHMA’s online communications channels and newsletter; collaborate with various stakeholders to coordinate network- and profile-building events, including one to two field trips to heritage attractions in Yukon communities outside Whitehorse, the Culture Days festival, and one to two small public events; and develop and implement a member satisfaction survey.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to develop an individualized training plan and to participate in additional opportunities for professional development and networking where possible.
Please visit this job posting on our website for a complete list of duties and responsibilities: https://www.heritageyukon.ca/job-posting-community-relations-coordinator-summer-student-0
This position is located in Whitehorse, Yukon. Candidates must reside in Whitehorse or be willing to relocate to Whitehorse for the duration of the position. Assistance in locating housing will be provided if needed.
This position is dependent on funding. If funded, candidates will need to meet the following criteria for the Young Canada Works (YCW) program of the Department of Canadian Heritage:
- be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada
- be legally entitled to work in Canada
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory
- be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
- not have another full-time job (over 30 hours/week) while employed in this job
- have been a full-time student in the semester preceding this YCW job
- intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following this YCW job
- Strong interest in heritage, especially Yukon heritage, and the heritage sector
- Studying in a related field, including but not limited to: museum studies/museology, curatorial studies, collections management, archival studies, conservation, cultural/heritage resource management, history, Aboriginal studies, arts administration, or non-profit management
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently as well as in a team setting
- High level of comfort working and communicating with diverse individuals
- Experience in research, marketing and communications, event planning, and/or report writing
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, email, and online research capabilities
- Proficiency with Microsoft Publisher, social media, website content management systems, and/or digital survey software considered an asset
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR certification an asset
YHMA welcomes participation from equity groups and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
HOURS: 37.5 hours/week including occasional evenings and weekends
TERM: 12-16 weeks, May 13-August 31 (approximate, dependent on funding)
Apply with cover letter and résumé by email to:
Subject: Community Relations Coordinator application