The Canadian Automotive Museum (CAM), located in Oshawa, Ontario has exhibited the story of the automobile in Canada since 1963. Home to the world’s most significant collection of Canadian cars, the museum tells the unique story of the automobile in Canada.
The Canadian Automotive Museum seeks a summer Visitor Services Assistant position to deliver quality visitor experiences and promote museum activities on social media. The selected candidate will gain hands-on experience in delivering tours and programs in both official languages to a diverse international audience.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Assist with front-end museum operations including ticket sales, orienting visitors to the museum, and processing gift shop transactions.
• Provide guided tours of the galleries to visitors.
• Lead one-hour “Automotive Heritage” walking tours of heritage sites in downtown Oshawa.
• Promote the CAM through the official website and social media channels (Instagram & Facebook) to ensure that events, photos, and visitor information is kept up-to-date throughout the summer months.
• Assist with summer children’s programs including an annual Kids’ Day in July.
• Maintain family activity areas in the museum galleries.
• Assist with other museum projects as requested.
• A Canadian citizen or permanent resident entitled to work in Canada.
• Candidate must be currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution.
• Excellent interpersonal, public speaking and communication skills.
• Preference given to candidates with a background in education, tourism, museum studies, history, automotive engineering or a similar field.
• Experience working in a not-for-profit environment is an asset.
• Ability to speak French preferred.
• Interest and enthusiasm for historic motorized vehicles encouraged.
• Technology: Use web-based programs and social media to reach new audiences.
• Communications: Interact with others via social media and in-person.
• Organization: Track projects and measurable outcomes.
• Customer Service: Ensure visitors have a positive experience.
• Research: Develop new stories to share during tours.
• Time Management: Deliver content within specified time requirements.
This position is contingent on successful funding from Young Canada Works and/or Canada Summer Jobs. All offers of employment for this position will be conditional upon satisfactory reference checks. Eligibility in Young Canada Works program in Canadian Heritage is required. The Canadian Automotive Museum is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Positions Available: 2
Duration: 14 weeks
Hours: Tuesday-Friday 9:00-5:00, Saturday 9:45-4:15.
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Friday, May 10, 2019.