1 THE BATA SHOE MUSEUM
With an international collection of over 13,000 shoes and related artifacts, the Bata Shoe Museum celebrates 4,500 years of footwear history in four distinctive rotating galleries. In addition to our popular semi-permanent exhibition, All About Shoes, the Museum has three galleries for changing exhibitions, ensuring that each visit to the museum offers a new experience. Currently on view are The Gold Standard: Glittering Footwear from Around the Globe; Art & Innovation: Traditional Arctic Footwear from the Bata Shoe Museum Collection; and our engaging new show WANT: Desire, Design and Depression Era Footwear.
Through the creation of its innovative exhibitions, the BSM strives to enlighten and entertain visitors of all ages. For every shoe there’s a story. Discover thousands at the Bata Shoe Museum.
Further information on the museum is available at www.batashoemuseum.ca or @batashoemuseum.
2 THE ROLE
The Technician is responsible for maintaining the museum’s iconic building, its exhibition cases and builds, the gallery environment and the working spaces to a high, museum-quality standard.
The successful candidate will initially be offered a year’s contract (including a three-month probation period), with the expectation of renewal on a permanent basis after 12 months.
The Technician will report to the Visitor Services Manager (VSM).
The Technician will also liaise internally with the Senior Curator and Conservator on exhibition and storage matters, with the Events Consultant on events and rentals, and with the Executive Director on general building issues. S/he will additionally liaise externally with the consultant systems engineer.
The Technician is required to
• Ensure that all equipment and systems are ready for use and monitored on a daily basis. The Technician will establish and maintain an online log, accessible to all BSM staff, and will immediately alert the VSM of any serious malfunction, breakage, leak or failure.
• As part of the above responsibility, maintain and monitor all a/v equipment and be available at all events and rentals to ensure that it is working properly.
• Maintain all lighting on a regular basis, including replacing bulbs and equipment when required.
• Ensure that the alarm and fire protection systems are fully operational.
• Liaise with the VSM, the Executive Director, the consultant systems engineer and the consultant architect to establish and maintain an accessible online register of anticipated replacement dates and likely costs for new or replacement equipment.
• Assisting the curatorial and conservation team to install, open, repair and maintain exhibition cases, and to assist the curatorial team and external technicians in the installation and de-installation of exhibitions.
• Supervise all shipping, including of loan or loaned objects, into and from the building, ensuring that all incoming shipments arrive at the correct department or with the correct individual. This will include the establishment and daily maintenance of an online transit log.
• Supervise building cleaners and contractors, ensuring that all external contractors abide by the museum’s health and safety policies.
If you are interested in applying, please email (i) a cover letter, (ii) a CV or résumé, and (iii) contact information for three references to Evette Bacay at email@example.com. The cover letter should be no more than two pages long.
If you wish to talk further about the role, please do contact the museum’s Visitor Services Manager, Christopher Mitandis, on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications is 9am on Monday 22 April, with shortlist interviews scheduled for Monday 6 May. Only selected applicants will be contacted for an interview.
The Bata Shoe Museum is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from qualified candidates from visible and invisible minority group members, indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons across the spectrum of sexual and gender identities, and others with the skill and knowledge to engage with diverse communities. We are committed to hiring on merit and to removing barriers in employment policies.