Packing and Crating Assistant
Up to 35 Hours per Week
At the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO), it is our Mission to bring people together with art to see, experience and understand the world in new ways. As one of the most distinguished art museums in North America, we celebrate creativity and diversity, advocate for artists and shape the conversation about art in our local and international communities. We connect to the world through collaborative and innovative partnerships which provide opportunities to share fresh ideas and discover new voices.
Our Vision: We will become the imaginative centre of our city and province. We will be welcoming to our visitors, inspiring for our audiences and innovative in the ways we gather people together to create community through art. We will become a preferred cultural partner for artistic visionaries from all over the world.
The AGO is committed to recruiting a diverse and collaborative workforce, who exemplify our mission, vision and values and will thrive in a dynamic environment.
Under the supervision of the Packing and Crating Technician, the Packing and Crating Assistant fabricates crate exteriors, trays and interiors, and refurbishes existing crates. They will also assist with packing works of art for loan and storage.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to operate industrial woodworking equipment including saws, shaper, planer, joiner, pneumatic nailers, sanders and drills, as well as a variety of hand and power tools and lift trucks
- Minimum 2 years’ experience handling art objects in a Museum environment
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in crate fabrication and packing of art objects using Museum standards, techniques and materials
- Knowledge of methods of travel, handling and shipping crated works of art
- Demonstrated knowledge of conservation standards and safe handling of works of art
- Well developed interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, and collections management database systems, specifically The Museum System (TMS)
- Creative problem solving
We invite individuals who reflect the diversity of our visitors to apply by visiting our website at www.ago.ca/jobs-and-volunteering.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act & the AGO’s Recruitment & Selection Policy for Staff, a request for accommodation will be considered throughout the hiring process.
The Art Gallery of Ontario is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We thank all applicants but must advise that only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Please visit www.ago.ca/jobs-and-volunteering to apply.