Director, Shelburne Museums By the Sea
The Director answers to the Shelburne Historical Society (SHS) Board of Directors and reports directly to its President. S/he is accountable for effective and efficient day-to-day operations and provides leadership, vision and direction for the successful growth and development of the Shelburne Museum Complex.
- Provide overall vision and leadership to staff and volunteers.
- Oversee strategic planning process (every 3 years) and facilitate annual cycle of visioning, planning, reporting and budget preparation.
- Ensure open and timely communication with Board and provide support as required.
- Ensure all public and legal accountabilities are in good standing.
- Coordinate all policies, procedures, guidelines and codes of conduct for the Shelburne Museum Complex and ensure implementation.
- Ensure documents and records are current and properly maintained.
- Hire, orient, train, supervise and mentor employees.
- Develop annual employee work plans, evaluate performance and provide professional development opportunities as required.
- Promote a productive, healthy and safe workplace.
- Responsible for annual budget development, procedures and administration and supervise administrative staff.
- Oversee care and maintenance of buildings, grounds and other physical property including ongoing maintenance and/or development of facilities.
- Oversee care and maintenance of the museum websites, Facebook page and other social media and ensure maximum effective utilization.
- Responsible for overall programming strategies and overseeing implementation and evaluation of programs and exhibits.
- Supervise staff responsible for collection and exhibit management
- Ensure collection and exhibits reflect SHS mandate and priorities as well as NS Museum’s Interpretive Master Plan.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating external outreach strategies and products.
- Represent SHS in consultation with the Board and Communications Committee to public, private and community organizations to promote the interests of SHS and build partnerships and collaboration.
- Responsible for internal communications and employee engagement.
- Act, in consultation with the President and Chair of the Communications Committee, as museum spokesperson to the media and community.
- Assist in advocating public policy issues relating to culture and heritage.
- Work with Board to develop, implement and evaluate fundraising and sponsorship strategies.
- Supervise staff responsible for retail inventory, promotions and sales.
- Work with Board to set fees for services and other earned revenue sources.
- Responsible for researching grant opportunities and preparing and/or overseeing grant applications.
Education: BA, Certificate/Diploma/MA in related-studies (history, management, museum studies) or a degree that provides the equivalent when combined with experience.
- Ability to create, articulate and reinforce a compelling vision and strategies for meeting the museum’s mission by providing direction within the organization and leadership in the community.
- Demonstrated organizational and administrative abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to write grant applications, develop exhibits, initiate programs, complete projects on time and on budget, train and motivate people, coordinate activities, speak publicly, and deal effectively with community groups and interests.
- Knowledge of and interest in the museum’s theme and collections.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Proficient in computer applications and new media.
- Minimum 3 years experience managing and leading teams.
Please provide a cover letter and résumé marked confidential by midnight on Tuesday, the 9th of October 2018 to the attention of Board President, Louise Lindsay at email@example.com or mail to PO Box 39, Shelburne, NS, B0T 1W0.
This position will remain open until filled. This is a full time position. Remuneration is commensurate with experience (salary range: $40,000 - $50,000).
The Hiring Committee thanks all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.