Job Title: Animator/Educator
Reports to: Programs Coordinator
Terms: Part-time, evening and weekend work may be required
Salary: $14.50 per hour
Job Dates: September 2018-June 2019 school year
Deadline: Sept 21, 2018
The Animator/Educator position requires the successful candidate to:
• Facilitate education programs for primary, elementary, secondary, and post-secondary students through both verbal and tactile methods
• Facilitate, interpret and lead dynamic education programs
• Take responsibility for learning/researching current program curriculum and museum content
• Present curricular messages in an accessible and engaging manner, through the use of experiential methods
• Deliver the Museum’s education programs in a manner consistent with the approaches and content presented during animator training and as specified in the Programs Manual
• Address emergent problems and group management issues in a fair and timely manner
• Communicate regularly with the Programs Coordinator/Teachers
• Contribute to the evaluation and improvement of the Museum’s education programs
• Adhere to all Museum policies and health and safety standards
Required Skills / Abilities:
• Excellent communication skills in English; other languages an asset
• Knowledge/experience/awareness of First Nations, Métis and Inuit histories, cultures and current issues
• Interest/experience in the story of the canoe and Canadian history
• Excellent group facilitation skills
• Well-versed in the philosophies of Experiential Learning
• Experience in teaching and/or historic interpretation
• Education/interpretation planning experience
• Musical ability and theatre experience an asset
• Canoeing, first aid, and swimming qualifications an asset
Shifts are approximately 5.5 hours per day, from 2-5 days per week (flexible), mainly during the school day, with evening and weekend work required on occasion.
The successful applicant will be required to submit a current Police Check including Vulnerable Sector screening.
Thank you for your interest in joining The Canadian Canoe Museum team.
Please submit a cover letter and CV to Kelly Pineault, Programs Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm, September 21, 2018.
We thank all those interested, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please note, preference will be given to those who submit their resume/cover letter before the
deadline, however the posting will remain open until the position is filled.