Job title: Technician, Digital Archives
Status: Temporary, full time (35hrs/week)
Duration: 12 months
Posting period: July 30 to August 19, 2018
Job entry: As soon as possible
The responsabilities of this job inlcude supporting the accessioning and processing work of the Digital Archivist and Digital Processing Archivists. This involves locating, retrieving, and disk imaging physical computer storage media such as floppy disks, optical disks, and Zip disks in the CCA Collection to prepare this material for further processing.
This new position is part of a two year program in which CCA wants to emphasize access to the born-digital collection brought together during a multiyear project called Archaeology of the Digital. 25 Projects collected for Archaeology of the Digital must be process and made accessible. Other digital material collected by CCA prior to and since the Archaeology of the Digital program must also be retrieved, properly preserved and prepared for arrangement, description, ingest to CCA’s digital repository, and end user access in the CCA Study Room.
• Identifies, inventories, and retrieves physical computer storage media in the CCA collection, in collaboration with the Registrar’s team and the Archivists team
• Creates forensic disk images of digital media
• Ingests disk images into CCA’s Archivematica-based digital repository
• Assists Digital Archivist with procurement, setup, and use of obsolete computer hardware and media readers
• Aids in the development of additional CCA initiatives related to the preservation and management of born-digital materials
• Contributes to training of current technicians in these new workflows
• Education: CEGEP computer science, library science or media studies
• Number of years of relevant work experience : 1 to 3 years, ideally in a museum or archival repository
• Excellent knowledge of French and English, spoken and written
• Demonstrated computer expertise;
• Familiarity with wide range of file formats, file storage systems, and operating systems (Linux, Mac, PC);
• Knowledge of basic*nix terminal commands;
• Knowledge of digital forensics tools and techniques, especially as applied in museums, archives, and libraries
Please submit your application before August 20, 2018 by email: firstname.lastname@example.org to the attention of Human Resources, CCA, 1920 Baile Street, Montreal (Quebec) H3H 2S6. Only successful applicants will be contacted. The CCA is an equal opportunity employer.
For all CCA existing job opportunities, visit our website.