The Outreach and Community Engagement Assistant will research, plan, implement, and evaluate strategies to promote awareness and use of CMA resources in the museum community and beyond. As a bilingual service organization, CMA’s resources and communications are available in both official languages. In order to complete their duties effectively, the Outreach and Community Engagement Assistant must have strong reading and writing skills in both official languages, while fluency is preferred. The contributions of the Outreach and Community Engagement Assistant will ensure that valuable CMA resources, like the Job Board and LGBTQ2 Guidelines, are known to the community and accessible to the public. Funded by Canada Summer Jobs program.
This position will report to Sue Lamothe, CMA’s Director of Finance and Operations.
All applicants must:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
• be a student in a secondary, post-secondary. CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
• have been registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year;
• intend to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
• be a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* and;
• is legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
*Foreign students are not eligible
This position is suitable for a student in a Museum Studies program, or a related discipline such as History or Arts Administration/Museum Management studies. It may also be suitable for a student in a Communications program. The responsibilities of the Outreach and Community Engagement Assistant will require sound understanding and appreciation of the heritage sector along with sound reasoning and strong communication and planning skills.
Working alongside members of the Membership and Communications teams, responsibilities of the Outreach and Community Engagement Assistant will include:
• Becoming familiar with the resources offered by the CMA and its role in the museum community (including LGBTQ2 Guidelines, Job Board, Careers section of the website, etc.).
• Analysing existing resources and making recommendations for updates in collaboration with the Communications team.
• Developing, planning, and implementing outreach and communications initiatives to promote awareness of CMA resources to the public (through social media and other appropriate platforms).
• Conducting an evaluation of strategies used, with a focus on measurable outcomes, to help analyse the effectiveness of CMA’s outreach efforts.
• Attending bi-weekly meetings with the Finance and Operations staff members to update and review priorities and plan for upcoming deadlines.
• Other related duties.
To contribute to the Outreach and Community Engagement Assistant’s professional growth, the selected candidate will also receive exposure to other CMA programs and initiatives, allowing opportunities for mentoring with other staff members at the CMA
$15/ hourly (30 hours a week) Monday to Friday 9 a.m. – 5p.m. The position is scheduled from June 11 to August 17, 2018, for a 10-week position.
Send your CV and cover letter to Sue Lamothe, Director of Finances and Operations at email@example.com by May 28th, 2018, no telephone calls please.
The Canadian Museums Association is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from youth with disability, Aboriginal youth, visible minorities and new Canadians.