The South Peace Historical Society is an active, non-profit organization that promotes history of the South Peace region through management of three heritage institutions in Dawson Creek, B.C.: The Northern Alberta Railway Station Museum, the Walter Wright Pioneer Village, and the South Peace Historical Society Archives. We are dedicated to the collection, documentation, preservation, interpretation and display of the history and material culture of the Peace River South Area of British Columbia.
We believe in increasing the knowledge and understanding of the history and culture of the South Peace.
The South Peace Historical Society is looking for a collections assistant to aid in their ongoing digitization and inventory project. The collections assistant will be responsible for transferring collections records, filling out inventory forms, and helping to identify gaps in information, or duplicate files.
The successful candidates will be in secondary school (preferred) or post-secondary school and have:
• An interest in history and/or museum studies
• Internally motivated and demonstrates initiative
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Flexible, able to manage multiple priorities
• Good organizational skills and attention to detail
• Motivated to work cooperatively with others, as well as on their own
• Computer literate, with at least a basic knowledge of Microsoft Excel or other database programs
• Familiarity with, or interest in, the South Peace region
All applicants must be eligible for Young Canada Works and have a YCW profile. To be eligible under Young Canada Works you must:
• Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada.
Note: Non-Canadian students or graduates holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible.
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada.
• Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment.
• Have finished the school term at the start of employment.
• Meet the specific eligibility criteria of the program to which you apply. o be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory.
• Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment.
• Not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW.
• Have been a full-time student in the semester preceding the YCW job.
• Intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job.
*Please Note: Start and end date are flexible as long as the required number of hours are fulfilled.
Interested applicants should apply with their resume and cover letter by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) addressed to: Denée Renouf, Manager Archivist, no later than May 20, 2018.