The Region of Peel, Canada’s second-largest municipality, has undergone a major transformation during the past few decades as a dynamic, urban community with a vibrant economic base. Our goal is to build a community for life that ensures our “future Peel” is a healthy, safe and connected community, based on the cornerstones of collaboration, innovation and environmental sustainability. Peel Art Gallery, Museum, and Archives (PAMA) is the Region’s dynamic culture hub, housed in an inter-connected 4 building campus in downtown Brampton, serving a diverse population of 1.44 million across Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon. PAMA is an integrated institution specializing in contemporary and regional arts, heritage and culture, with a mandate of creative exploration and a goal to help build cohesive community.
Peel Art Gallery, Museum and Archives (PAMA) is looking for a Senior Curator, Art to join the leadership team and share their passion for Art and their creative vision with the residents of Peel.
Are you a visionary art curator who can shape the future of our dynamic institution through the delivery of innovative exhibitions, programs, and growth and stewardship of an outstanding contemporary art collection? Are you an accomplished leader, a gifted communicator, outstanding researcher, and an advocate for inclusivity and collaboration?
This may be the opportunity for you…..
The Senior Curator, Art will be responsible for the initiation, research, development, and presentation of a dynamic curatorial vision, including exhibitions organized within Peel Art Gallery, Museum and Archives (PAMA) and exhibitions originating from other institutions; and the growth and care of PAMA’s art collection. The Senior Curator, Art will also contribute to the planning and organization of art, education and public programs related to exhibitions and collections in PAMA while working in an inclusionary and multi-disciplinary environment.
Art gallery core services include exhibitions, interpretation, collections management, preservation, research, community engagement and access.
You will be accountable for…..
• Leading the Art Gallery team within PAMA, providing a high level of expertise and oversight in accordance with relevant industry standards. The Senior Curator, Art is responsible for fostering innovation in design and artistic vision to create exceptional visitor and user experiences.
• Delivering of art gallery services, including exhibitions, publications, management of the permanent collection, community relations, loans, donor relations, community liaison, conservation, grant management, reports and evaluations.
• Maintaining connections with local, provincial, and national visual arts communities and has a demonstrated knowledge of theoretical, historical, and intellectual contexts of contemporary art practices, and an ability to communicate this knowledge to specialized and general audiences.
• Ensuring that art gallery program strategies align with goals and objectives of the Region of Peel Community for Life, and that plans and resources support the program while also ensuring PAMA’s long-term financial sustainability.
• Developing operational plans for the Art Gallery to support strategic directions of PAMA’s program plan;
• Managing strategic relationships, including with donors, funders, partners and stakeholders, in order to strengthen institutional and community links.
• Managing fiscal resources to ensure operational effectiveness.
• Providing leadership to build a high performing engaged and committed team of professionals.
• Developing strategy documents, exhibition plans, project proposals, Council and Advisory Board reports, program business plans, policies and procedures, exhibition text / didactics and publications, contractual agreements, reports, presentations, grant applications, letters, general correspondence and social media, and other content.
• Masters Degree in Art History or related field with at least 8 years of curatorial experience in a related position in an art gallery or other collections-based institution, or an equivalent combination of education and experience including at least 3 years of supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated expertise in at least one major area of the PAMA art collection.
• Demonstrated results in building community engagement.
• Demonstrated results related to best practices, industry standards, and current trends in art gallery curation and exhibition, collections management, educational programming and visitor experiences.
• Demonstrated expertise with co-creation.
• Ability to interpret and evaluate information to improve existing programs or to develop new approaches or processes.
• Strong problem solving and judgement skills.
• Strong financial management and planning skills.
• Excellent time management and organizational skills.
• Excellent communications skills.
• Flexibility around hours, weekend and some statutory holidays may be required.
Location: 10 Peel Centre Drive, Brampton ON
Hours of work: – 35 hours/week
If this opportunity matches your qualifications and experience, please apply online at www.peelregion.ca/hr by end of day February 26, 2018