||The BYTOWN MUSEUM is currently looking for four friendly and energetic Visitor Services Officers for the 2018 summer season. The Visitor Services Officer (VSO) position plays an integral part in creating a welcoming and memorable visitor centered experience for all of our patrons. We are looking for pro-active team members with an intuitive and enthusiastic approach and a passion for exceptional customer care in support of the museum’s expansion of programming and services as Ottawa’s oldest community museum.
Located in the heart of downtown, the BYTOWN Museum is committed to engage the local community and visitors abroad in discovery and exploration of the stories of an evolving city and its residents from its early days as Bytown to present day. Its mandate is to collect, preserve, study and make accessible the material and cultural heritage of the Ottawa region’s multicultural and rich history, aspiring to the highest quality of service in furthering knowledge and developing a sense of pride among its diverse visitors.
• Delivery of the very best in both official languages
• Communicate enthusiastically to others in the relevance of the museum’s history, collection and exhibitions
• Actively rotate through day-to-day front of house operations, anticipating and responding to visitors needs while promoting the museum’s products and offering of services
• Provide a helpful and knowledgeable first point of contact both in person and over the phone, responding to a wide variety of queries and requests
• Assist with opening and closing of the museum, daily operations of Boutique & Café, Reception and Admissions
• Champion and maximize revenue generation streams including outdoor operations
• Ensure cleanliness of work area, galleries, facilities and public spaces
• Logistics and facilitation of annual programming and special events; assist in promotion and ticket sale for fundraising initiatives
• Ready to connect and engage with the public seven days a week in new and nostalgic opportunities
• Perform and undertake any other related duties with a flexible attitude Requirements:
• Excellent communication skills and command of both French and English (written or oral)
• Between 15 and 30 years of age at start of employment
• Ability to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
• Have been a full-time student (as defined by your educational institution) in the semester preceding positon and intends to return to full-time studies in the next semester
• Have a valid Social Insurance Number and legally entitled to work in Canada at start of employment
• Interest and enthusiasm for the Ottawa history; knowledge of Canadian History
• Ability to work as a team player with strong interpersonal skills, willingness to assume initiative and work independently
• Able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs. Able to climb stairs as there is no elevator access beyond the 2nd floors Assets:
• Enjoys meeting, working and conversing with people of all ages, race and backgrounds
• Enthusiasm and experience working with the public and providing an excellent visitor experience in a busy customer focused environment
• Experience planning and coordinating public events
• Ability to relate to many different/diverse people, when English may not be their first language
• Knowledge of language other than English and French
||The Visitor Service Officer position runs from June 1 to September 2, 2018, working a max of 32 hours a week. Part-time extension in fall may be possible.
Interviews will be conducted in English with a French component.
Resume and a cover letter to be received, no later than 4 pm on Friday April 20, 2018 to
Postal Address: MUSÉE BYTOWN MUSEUM, P.O. Box 523, Station B; Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5P6
No telephone enquiries please.
While we thank all candidates for showing interest in the BYTOWN MUSEUM, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. The BYTOWN MUSEUM is an equal opportunity employer.