Summary of Duties:
Provides exhibit presence and security at determined work areas by:
- greeting and welcoming visitors;
- providing information like museum programs, exhibitions, schedules, floor maps, etc.
- directing enquiring visitors to specific exhibitions and other facilities such as the cafeteria, boutique, washrooms, etc.
- explaining rules and policies to visitors when necessary i.e. admission policies and ensuring they are implemented by visitors;
- reporting any problems to the Supervisors including broken exhibits, maintenance problems, cleanliness, and security of
artefacts and exhibits or any other significant problems;
- ensuring crowd control;
- being responsible for courteous but efficient clearing and securing of the Museum at the end of operating hours.
The standard weekly hours are: SWW 37.50 Hrs (5 days Average Mon. - Sun.)
- Knowledge of the collection and programs of the Canada Science and Technology Museum.
- Basic knowledge of the museum as a cultural institution.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with both visitors and team colleagues;
- Ability to evaluate situations quickly and take action effectively and calmly when required; to exercise good judgement;
- Ability to work well independently without supervision and as part of a cohesive team.
Flexibility and adaptability
Strong team player
High energy, self-starter
Friendly, responsible, service-oriented attitude
Excellent communication and people skills
A high degree of initiative and judgement
The CSTMC is committed to the principles of employment equity.
Résumés received for this position will not be accepted after the indicated closing time (midnight) and date.
Please note that only candidates who are selected for the next stage of this selection process will be contacted.
As a result of this competition, we may establish an eligibility list that may serve to staff similar positions.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please forward your cover letter and curriculum vitae indicating the
reference number 2018/2019-CSTMC-039 in your email's Subject line, no later than the closing date to:
Posting Date: April 26, 2018 Closing Date: May 31, 2018
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Must be available to work weekends, weekdays, evenings and holidays.
Education and Experience:
- Must be returning to school on a full-time basis in Fall 2018
- Experience working with a diverse clientele, including children;
- Experience in dealing with the public.
Current Standard 1st Aid/CPR as asset
Security Requirement: Enhanced reliability