Education and Public Programming Assistant
Hours and Wage: $14.00/hour for 32.5 hours/week
Languages: English required, bilingualism an asset
Driver’s License: not required
The Elgin County Railway Museum is recruiting a student for the full-time, summer position of Education & Public Programming Assistant. The successful candidate for this position will deliver curriculum connected education programs to visiting schools and community groups, and assist with the coordination of group bookings. They will plan, develop and deliver public programming activities for all ages at special events, and through community outreach, as well as a weekly railway-themed children’s workshop. They will draft program descriptions and assist with promotion of workshops and education programs. The Education & Public Programming Assistant will also be cross-trained to provide guided tours to individuals and group visitors, and provide back-up support for admissions and the gift shop. They will work as a team with other staff and volunteers to assist with preparation and public programming for special events.
• Student pursing post secondary education preferably in Education, History, Museum Studies, Early Childhood Education or Recreation & Leisure programs
• Research, writing, and customer service experience
• Experience working with children and youth
• Experience using Microsoft office applications
• Excellent communication, information management and public speaking skills
• Interest and knowledge of railway, local or Canadian history
• Experience using Microsoft office applications, including MS Word and Excel
• Flexibility to changing priorities
• Availability to work weekdays, weekends and holidays
• Current First-Aid and CPR training certificates an asset
• Bilingualism an asset
Fulfillment of this position subject to approved grant funding.
Applications, with a cover letter, are due by 5pm, Friday, April 27th 2018, and can be delivered to:
Attn: Hilary Fagan
Elgin County Railway Museum
225 Wellington Street, St. Thomas, ON N5R 2S6.
Applications can also be submitted by the deadline via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.