Discovery North Bay Museum is seeking a summer collections assistant.
The collections assistant will work with the Museum Director/Curator and Director of Advancement to catalogue and perform research on recently donated objects. They will also assist with updating existing museum records by adding images and reviewing accuracy.
The collections assistant will also help run special events and work occasionally in the museum gift shop when required.
This position will run for approximately 12-14 weeks for 37.5 hours a week at $14.00 an hour.
Description of Duties:
• Catalogue and process materials using museum database
• Assist in digitization project
• Perform research on museum objects and photos
• Box artifacts and perform preventative conservation as required
• Work with the public in a museum/retail setting on an occasional basis as required
Desired Skills & Qualifications
• An interest in and knowledge of Canadian history
• Ability to research, compile synthesize, and summarize information
• Ability to work independently or in a team setting
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Experience with exhibit planning or working with museum collections is an asset
• Experience working in a retail or museum setting is an asset
Interested applicants are asked to apply no later than April 17th, 2018. Applications should be sent through indeed.com to Naomi Hehn, Director/Curator.
In order to be eligible for this position, applicants must meet Young Canada Works funding eligibility, which states that candidates must:
• Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, or have refugee status in Canada; Note: Non-Canadian students holding temporary work visas or awaiting permanent status are not eligible;
• Be legally entitled to work in Canada;
• Be between 16 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
• Be registered in the YCW online candidate inventory;
• Be willing to commit to the full duration of the work assignment
• Not have another full-time job (over 30 hours a week) while employed with YCW.
• Have been a full-time student (as defined by his or her educational institution) in the semester preceding the YCW job;
• Intend to return to full-time studies in the semester following the YCW job.
Discovery North Bay Museum welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.